Teledentistry has been shown to increase access to care, improve health outcomes, and reduce costs — and its use across the United States is growing. However, a variety of state-level barriers stand in the way of its continued expansion.
What can stakeholders to do remove these barriers and facilitate the spread of teledentistry?
A new visual report from CareQuest Institute for Oral Health explores the current landscape, barriers, potential solutions, and action steps related to teledentistry.
- Create State Practice Acts that permit each dental provider to practice to the full extent of their credentials and to provide care in community settings.
- Update reimbursement policies to allow coverage for teledentistry beyond the current pandemic and to stipulate parity regardless of whether the procedure or service is provided via teledentistry or in person.
- Address and clarify legal issues regarding liability and data security.
You may also be interested in:
- Teledentistry: What to Know & How It Works, a visual report that aggregates highlights from several surveys and reports to show how teledentistry is growing across different US states.
- Teledentistry Use Beyond the Pandemic, a visual report that explores four reasons why teledentistry is here to stay.
- Teledentistry is an Effective Tool to Triage Patients and Save Money, a report that explores dental service utilization patterns and rate of return following teledentistry visits.