The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted inequities in the United States and, at the same time, increased awareness of technologies that can help address those inequities. One such technology is teledentistry — a set of virtual tools that allow for electronic communication and delivery of oral health services.
Even after the pandemic, teledentistry has the potential to increase access, improve health outcomes, and provide patients with an opportunity for a greater role and voice in their own care.
A new visual report from CareQuest Institute for Oral Health explores four reasons why teledentistry is here to stay. Key points include:
- During a crisis — whether an infectious disease outbreak or natural disaster — teledentistry will help ensure that people do not lose access to care.
- Teledentistry reduces costs: in one study from 2018, patients with at least one teledentistry visit cost 10% less than dental patients who didn’t use teledentistry.
- Patients are embracing teledentistry: in a 2020 CareQuest Institute survey, 86% of patients said they were satisfied with their overall teledentistry experience.
You may also be interested in:
- Teledentistry: What to Know & How It Works, a visual report that aggregates highlights from several surveys and reports to show how teledentistry is growing across different US states.
- State of Oral Health Equity in America: COVID-19, Vaccines, and Teledentistry, a recent webinar that, among other topics, discussed emerging opportunities teledentistry can provide for those with a lack of access to care.
- Additional reports and graphics on our Teledentistry topic page.