This course will explore practical ways providers can improve access to care for individuals with disabilities. We will recognize different types of disabilities, identify unique risk factors that increase oral and systemic disease prevalence, discuss caring for patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, and present opportunities to address health disparities in individuals with disabilities.
- Recognize different types of disabilities with related considerations for general and oral health.
- Identify risk factors that increase the prevalence of oral and systemic disease in people with disabilities.
- Explain the progression of the signs and symptoms and oral manifestations of Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Implement oral care management procedures for patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy in the dental office.
- Discuss health inequalities among those with disabilities and opportunities to address health disparities, including addressing the need for preventive dental care.