This one-hour webinar, featuring well-known pharmacist, dental educator, and author Tom Viola, RPh, CCP, will address how to identify signs of substance use disorder in patients, and outline essential precautions for dental settings. It will equip participants with evidence-based strategies for addressing this significant public health concern, with a focus on how to educate patients about the addictive qualities of painkillers.
- Explain the pharmacology and mechanism of action of opioid and non-opioid analgesics, as well as their potential for abuse.
- Identify the intended roles of these analgesics in the treatment of acute dental pain, as well as situations that may preclude their use.
- Discuss prescribing opioid analgesics as part of an individualized patient pain management plan.
- Describe techniques for recognizing and identifying potential addiction, as well as avoiding potential drug diversion.
- Discuss current protocols for the management and treatment of opioid addiction.
Lisa J. Heaton, PhD, Science Writer, CareQuest Institute for Oral Health
Thomas Viola, RPh, CCP, Clinician, Educator, Speaker, Author, Dental Pharmacology/Local Anesthesia
This webinar will not be recorded.
CareQuest Institute for Oral Health is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider.
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. CareQuest Institute for Oral Health designates this activity for 1 continuing education credit.
This continuing education activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the standards of the ADA Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP) by CareQuest Institute for Oral Health.
All participating instructors in this program have disclosed that they have the following financial arrangement or affiliation with the listed persons or entity(ies) offering financial support, products, and/or services mentioned or related to the content of this program/activity.
Lisa J. Heaton, PhD
CareQuest Institute for Oral Health